View before it all begins part 1

So hows this all going to work?


I've kind of settled on building a shed from pallets, yes the kind you see in warehouses, out the back of shops or abandoned at the side of  roads by people who don't know what they're missing out on!

Pallets come in all sorts of sizes for all kind of uses and a lot of them are returnable so generally not a bad shipping concept.  The problem is that there's plenty of folks who don't know what you can be doing with them and just dump them this is where me and the shed come in!

The plan (so far as I have one) is to build the main structure out of normal pallets. Here in the UK - that  1200 x 1000 mm (47 x 39 inches for those of you viewing in imperial), 9-block, with a full-perimeter base.  These are screwed together using 150 mm (6 inch) screws to form a base on top of  300x300 mm (1 x1 foot) concrete piers built from some salvaged concrete paving slabs.  The base will be protected from moisture from below by some DPM

Rather than bang on about the basic concepts this video covers most of the basic ideas:


As per the video I've been acquiring materials to have them on hand before I start messing about and then having to stop while I wait on getting more materials.  




More have "Arrived" since so I'm sort of running out of room a little and time is marching on.  Many thanks to the local residents association (Craigmount Townhouses Residents Association) for accommodating the materials pile on the common land while I get things organised!

I'm also going to use the deck boards from some large insulation pallets which I can get from a local business who are grateful to get rid of them rather than have to recycle them themselves - everyone's a winner.  These are going to form the skin of the shed and will hopefully make the shed look reasonably nice and will age sympathetically 

Just to encourage you if a shed is a little bit bigger than what you need or can accommodate you might want something smaller like a storage bunker or pallet based garden furniture.  This is within the reach of most people with a bit of determination and a few bits of kit

This





Is my storage bunker built from various pallets, broken down and nailed/screwed back into a reasonable bunker shaped bit shape using salvaged nails/screws.  All this really cost me was a few days of my time.  The burnt effect is my attempt at Shou Sugi Ban.

Some more ideas can be found on 1001pallets.com/ and one of my favourite sites instructables.com.

Any questions or suggestion please let me know.

Cheers,

Rob




Comments

Popular Posts