Lockdown Mega Post

Afternoon Shed Fans! ( Apologies to Roland Rat)

Sorry it's been a wee while since my last post but the truth this lock down thing has been getting to me and I've been concentrating on getting on with the shed rather than taking pictures and posting things about it! Until now.

So the exterior of the shed is now finished and from the garden looks like this:


From the outside it is a slightly different colour to blend into the surrounding area that's why the gate on the right of the picture is green not orange.  But anyways how did we get here?

So at the end of my last post I had just finished gluing up my laminated beam for the rear wall of the shed that went well with the exception of a few adjustments that my boy Jamie helped me with (it's always good to have a Jamie on hand to do the heavy stuff!) we then got the roof beams ( Joists/ Jeists?) up and had a tidy up around the wall tops  so that the shed looked something like this:


The angled beam you can see on the left side is a hip rafter and it lets me keep the wall height on the end of the shed the same as for the back wall.  This helps with planning ( if I ever have to go through it) as it keeps the max height of the shed under 2.5 meters.



The next step was to was to board out the roof.  For this I had actually bought some old OSB sheets from my friends at Moove On recycling at Granton.  After much lifting / laying (thanks again Jamie) the roof looked like this:

 
and the views from below:

So once I had my boards trimmed and my new doors sanded for painting the shed kind of looked like this:


and the view from the inside: 

 

Now for a floor:





and a wall





I then got the roof felted using clout nails and bitumen adhesive 
:



After a bit of tidying and trimming the shed started to look a bit more respectable:


Then paint arrived and things got a a bit cra-cra:


Orange is the new black! leading us up to where we are today.

The whole of the shed has been lined inside the pallets to minimise drafts.





I sourced some free off cuts of 100 mm foil back insulation which has been packed into the wall and then been taped in with aluminium foil tape.  So far I've only managed to get the big end of the shed sorted as there's load of stuff in the storage end



The big end of the shed has been completed insulated and mostly lined on the interior of the walls but I'm sort off running out of wood so I might have to go and buy some ( horror!) to finish the job but here's what the partial lining looks like!



So that's where we are the next jobs are: 
  • to get the rest of the shed insulated
  • get the inside of the shed lined and painted
  • get a new window built and installed in the garden side of the shed.  ( I've picked up some old sash windows with nice thick glass -once I've got rid of the old rotten frames I can use for this and some nice dense a rot resistant Iroko timber I got for free to make up these windows).
There are load's of other jobs that I can do but that's probably would like to haves not essential to finishing the shed.

Anyways hope you're all doing reasonably well and keeping safe and this blog is at least a little entertaining / distracting

Cheers,
Rob







Comments

Popular Posts